January 1, 2013 Forgetfulness
I hesitate to make resolutions at the beginning of the year,
not because I don’t need to do better, but because I tend to forget what I
resolved. I’m not trying to be funny
here; it is just true.
This year (actually in just a few days) I will be turning 59. I can’t really wrap my mind around this fact,
because I don’t know where the years went.
I remember being a little girl, becoming a teenager, graduating from
high school and college, getting married, having our son, and standing beside
his baby bed as he slept and saying aloud to him, “Don’t grow up too fast.” He turns 30 in January!
Getting older has its advantages and disadvantages; this is
also true of forgetfulness. It seems
that daily “my forgetter gets better,” as my daddy said as he got older. I frequently forget where I left my glasses,
where I last had my phone, or why I walked into a different room. I can remember events from my childhood, but
I don’t remember if I turned off my curling brush just a few minutes ago.
As I look back over the past year, I remember much that was
difficult and painful. Life is like that. Sickness and death touched my family more
than once during 2012. These days will
not be forgotten easily. Yet, there were
also great times of healing, and hope, and happiness that I want to
remember. In addition, last year brought
times of hurt and rejection and discouragement, some of which came from people for
whom I care deeply.
I think that
forgetfulness may sometimes need to be a deliberate choice. The Apostle Paul said it this way in
Philippians 3:13-16:
“I do
not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting
what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal
to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of
us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you
think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to
what we have already attained.”
I have
studied the concept of “forget” for a long time. The pairing of forgetting and forgiving has
especially given me times of agony. After
all, women never forget some things!
Years ago I read a definition of forgiveness that has helped me with
this struggle. It said something like this. “Forgiveness is not pretending like
something did not happen; it is remembering that it happened, but choosing not
to let it hurt you again.”
So, my choice
and goal for 2013 will be to forget-- forget the hurts and those who caused
them; forget to let the past continue to hurt me. Instead, I will press harder to be more
loving, more forgiving, and to be more like Christ. When I fail, and I know I will, I hope others
will forget and be forgiving toward me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. This is my journey, but I'd like to know your thoughts.