Thursday, January 22, 2015

Learning to be Content: It Involves Knowing My Job

As I continue on my journey, I am finding so much confirmation that I am on the right path in my quest to learn contentment. Almost daily I read what others are also discovering about this life we are living on Earth. One fellow struggler is Bob Harvey, a friend who regularly sends an email message entitled, Words to Encourage.  His latest mailing says so well what I need to do as I learn to be content. So, with his permission, I am posting his message entitled, "Resign." I hope you will read it to the end.  I hope it will indeed encourage you. 

Still learning,
Jennifer


RESIGN

You read it here first.  It’s official.  I resign.  I have been thinking about doing it for some time now.  This week I finally did it.  I was hesitant about doing it for several reasons.  I over-estimated my importance.  It’s an ego thing.  I didn’t know how things would continue if I did resign.  And I hate to think I QUIT. Also, I did not know what I would do next.  But I took the step and made it official.

 I HEREBY RESIGN FROM BEING GENERAL MANAGER OF THE UNIVERSE.

 And let’s be honest:  I really wasn’t doing a very good job anyway.  I was having a hard time distinguishing who was right and who was ‘in the wrong’.  It was therefore hard for me to execute justice fairly.  People were always asking me hard questions.  As GM I felt I needed to have all the answers.  Questions like, “Why is there so much evil and suffering in the world?”  Not only did I not know WHY, I found there was little I could do about it.  I tried.  I told all the bad people I saw, those who were badder than me (badder?), to be good or else.  They would sneer and reply, “Or else what?  What are you gonna do about it?”  Most of them were bigger than me (no comment) so I had little leverage. And there are SO MANY BAD PEOPLE. Have you noticed that?

I want people to like me.  Those who say they don’t care what people think about them will lie about other things also.  Trying to SATISFY EVERYONE got to be too much.

BUT NOW – I’M FREE.  I don’t have to devote my time, my energy, or my inward concerns wondering what’s going to happen to all the evil in the world.  It’s not my job anymore.  The most liberating day of my life was when I finally did it.  When I resigned from being GM of the Universe I was set free.  Know what I found?  The Universe kept on running.  The sun came up the next day.  Right on time.  It didn’t shut down.  SomeOne else took over.  And He is doing a GREAT JOB.  Want to meet the new GENERAL MANAGER of the Universe? He wants to meet you.

Psalm 93:1-2

1The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty;

The Lord has clothed and girded Himself with strength;

Indeed, the world is firmly established, it will not be moved.

2 Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting.

 
Now do you want to know the truth? I’ve been lying to myself.  I never had the job in the first place.  God has been GM all along.  I was just acting like I was the Boss.  Being truthful with myself, turning in my resignation paper, will allow me to do my real job.  I am not the one running the Universe.  Never was.  Never will be.  For that we are all grateful.  My job now (always has been) is to TELL OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THE GM.  Our God is an AWESOME GOD.  He created.  He sustains.  He NEVER makes a mistake.  He can run the Universe without my help.  Or yours.  Is that freeing, or what?

Look at the time, will you?  I gotta get to work.  There are many people who do not know about the GM.  I get to tell them.  What an exciting job.

 PS: You working today?

 You think about that,

Pastor Bob

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. This is my journey, but I'd like to know your thoughts.