Thursday, August 13, 2015

Grace... Reflection or Rejection?

"I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Ghandi
 
Have you ever heard anyone say this or something similar? Could it be said because of me (or you)? 
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

I have been struggling for several days over this verse. My struggle is not with knowing if I am in Christ, because I know I am and have been since I was seven years old. Rather, my struggle is with those who claim to be “in Christ” but are so condemning of others.

So I am wondering: Why is there so much condemnation coming from those who claim to be “in Christ?”

Before you stop reading because you see me as thinking I am without sin or holier than anyone else, let me hasten to state that I have been condemning of others. I have sat in the judge, jury, and executioner’s seat at times and held court and pronounced the sentence on others more often than I wish to admit.  When I look back at my life, I have vivid images of breathing fire and damnation on many who didn’t “do church” or had a different way of expressing their faith than I do. For that, I am truly sorry and hope those people will have the grace toward me that I did not afford them.

Maybe one reason I am wrestling with this verse from Romans is because of so many recent events that have caused me to rethink my understanding of mercy and grace. Recently, I had a conversation with a precious young woman. We were talking about how our lives have had similar experiences with others being so quick to condemn or keep us under constant scrutiny because of our being in ministry families. She said, “Maybe that is why I have had such a hard time giving myself grace.”

This resonated so strongly within me! I have spent most of my life trying to live up to standards imposed by others who claim to know God’s grace, yet they do not offer it to others. As a result, I have not given myself grace or pardon or mercy. Instead, I have realized I am living under condemnation, from myself and others. This negates the reason for which Christ came and died and rose again.

So, what is the solution? I’m still working on this, but I have thought of a few steps toward a remedy. First, I have asked my Lord to forgive me for being condemning, and I also hope anyone who has felt condemned by me will forgive me. Next, I am going to do my best to be more grace oriented toward myself and others. This goes beyond making excuses, and it will be a learning curve for me because I have been steeped in religious legalism and judgment all my life.  I will continue to cogitate on what grace means, and maybe I will have a chance at being able to experience God’s grace and show grace to myself and others.

Please  Lord, help me be a true reflection of your grace so that people will say, “I like your Christ, and I want to know Him because of your reflection of Him, instead of rejecting you because of me.”

Let me know your thoughts, and please be gracious about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. This is my journey, but I'd like to know your thoughts.